Tuesday, March 27, 2007

update

One goal of mine-to save the world one bike at a time-is beginning to make me feel like a failure at other goals I aspire to. Namely: 1) have more free time than the ordinary working man to destress, enjoy life, and pursue various interests and passions; 2) read, deconstruct religious reason, build/define a moral foundation for liberalism; and 3) be sexy.

A month or two ago I volunteered to manage the bicycle inventory at Georges. I was concerned that if left to the inexperience or disorder of my coworkers, we would not have the optimum selection of bikes on the floor throughout the spring-summer season. For someone such as myself, who has taken it upon himself "to save the world one bike, one customer at a time" (copyright, 2002), it is unacceptable to loose a bike sale simply because a certain size or model was not properly planned for, built, and placed on the showroom floor. So, to prevent this from happening, and to demonstrate to my bosses that I can shoulder the responsibility, I've worked dozens of hours of overtime in the last month.

I'm working so much, I'm beginning to feel like a "working stiff"-someone whose entire life is dedicated to his job. And I hate that type of person. Remember that Kids in the Hall skit/scene where business men are all scurrying around with their briefcases, checking their watches, flagging taxis, and saying things like "Hi Chip, let's do lunch!" or "Did you get the memo Stan?".
Sometimes I fear I am becoming that guy, the guy who takes his job so seriously that its all he thinks about, all he talks about, and all he really does.

That's an exaggeration. I do find time to play Tetris on the computer. It helps me "wind down". Which should give you some indication about how busy its been at work lately. The heightened blood pressure, hot sweats, and adrenalin rushes brought on by a good game of Tetris is relaxing compared to the increased blood pressure, hot sweats, and fevered multitasking that's been a part of my average work day lately. Business at Georges has been simply ridiculous. At the rate in which were selling bikes, Boise ought to be the Amsterdam of North America in no time. Streets and parking lots dedicated wholly to bicycles. Ten times as many bikes on the streets as cars. A guy can dream, can't he? At any rate, my efforts have helped us send over 50 more bikes out the door this March compared to March 06, and that's a good start.

So, things have been neglected a bit lately, like this blog site, my body, and living in general. A few weeks ago I was rather sick. A sore, swollen throat accompanied by low energy lasted a week-week and a half. Once I started feeling better, I developed an annoying cold sore on the inside of my bottom lip.

This is not to say there have not been plenty of good times over the last few months of my non-existence in the blogging world. We've had a few bouts of astonishingly good weather in which Fern and I emmersed ourselves on several different occassions. I managed to ride five days in a row a couple of weeks ago.

Still, I miss being on top of my personal life-working out, riding a lot, reading and writing more, planning fun activities with Fern, and so on. This week my goal is to ease up on work and use that energy and discipline to begin getting more important things back on track, namely, life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Good stuff. There is plenty more to worry about than work, especially since we are all in the process of dying, might as well devote our times to personally-satisfying and enriching activities, like being sexy.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

don't worry about it. having fun is more important than working. you never know when you might expire....in essence slaving away working isn't a way to live.
plus tetris is calling! ring ring ring....will you answer the tetris?

i also suggest never working for a news department.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Randy Diddel said...

I have seen my shaman and he recommends a steady regimen of Tetris followed by several laps around Shane's Trail for inner peace.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home