Monday, January 29, 2007

Putting Richard Dawkins Through The Gauntlet

Woohoo! Finally, I've finished reading Richard Dawkins's "The God Delusion". Now, I can really start having fun. My mission is to dissect the book in the same manner I did "Religious Faith". As before, I intend to draw out the author's claims, separate logic from excessive words, and bring to the light of day any flaws I may find. When logic is plain, I believe fallacies are easily identifiable. I'm confident that I can find inherent problems with logic and say that something is, as a matter of fact, wrong-or else, a wrong way of thinking. Besides this more methodical treatment of the author's logic, I intend to formulate the best arguments I can in opposition to each of Dawkin's claims.

What makes all of this so much fun is that I agree with Richard Dawkins on almost all points! The guy is amazing. He's of a rare breed. He's a well known and respected scientist who happens to care enough to speak out against religious belief. From what I could gather, Dawkins has engaged in several debates and roundtables with some of the world's most respected intellectuals (including religious leaders) regarding evolution and belief. He is so skilled at cutting through the bullshit of conventional religious arguments, that he's responsible for converting many a believer to the religion of Science and Reason. Dawkins is an evolutionary scientist who, like me, finds religion an intellectually offensive phenomenon. And as I do, he feels that its predominance in society is very tragic.

Of course, none of this matters beyond this paragraph. I will put Dawkins to the test, and we will know if he passes only after I've done my best to flunk him. Let the games begin!


2 Comments:

Blogger Jaywalker said...

I look forward to reading some interesting discussion on the book. It has been a top seller for a while but I haven't gone through it yet.

I'd like to have some discussion as I said in an earlier comment but I am not going to "prove" or "disprove" anything. It's just that I have read a few things and I would like to share them. You may or may not find that interesting. Reciprocally, I might come to know a "different" view point about things.

So, should it be on email or comments like these? Or talkbacks on our respective blogs?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Comments on our most recent blogs should work well for me. I rarely check my email, what with all the junk mail. I look forward to it.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home