Friday, August 04, 2006

The importance of Energy for happiness

(from notebook--free form)
Regarding the notion of an "equation" for happiness, which is meant to be a big part of this blog:

Energy is a very important part of that equation.
Or is it? I can be very relaxed, very tired, and still be quite happy.
This sort of happiness may be more rare. You may call it contentment.
Perhaps by "energy" I mean mental vitality, which is very close to being synonymous with "happiness" itself.
Play involves energy and motion and it seems to produce happy feelings.

My making note of the importance of energy for happiness came about recently when I was feeling particularly tired. Which begs the question: Am I mistaking energy with a lack of tiredness? Is tiredness akin to pain, which would rid the equation of the need of "energy" as a factor in the equation. We could then simply place greater importance upon a lack of pain for happiness.

But how can an equation that aspires to produce something-happiness-boil down to the absence of something-pain? It is plausible if the natural state of man is happiness. Then one could understand that if she removed all impediments, she would be perfectly happy. It is far from settled, but we can still ask whether the natural state or the natural inclination (motion) of humans is happiness. This idea seems to find support through the observation of children. While kids experience all emotion, including negative, they more often demonstrate happiness when their physical needs are taken care of. And they certainly seem to demonstrate happiness that adults do-adults who have spent a lifetime "taming" their natural inclination to be happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

While relaxation, and the like, is a form of "energylessness", I disagree that it captures the same sense of "energylessness" (in a negative way) as, say, lethargy. I think it's important to understand why one type of lack of energy can feel pleasant, while another kind can feel very unpleasant. You mentioned mental vitality as a possible sourse for the happiness within relaxation... I might surmise that a lack of mental vitality would cause the unpleasant lethargy, however, the lethargy that I experience which makes me feel particularly unhappy seems to be a physical tiredness/lack energy.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

hi. I think you are right in every way. In fact, you are so right, everything else is wrong in comparison. Now I am just typing to make you wonder why I am still typing, just to make you impatient....you are saying my name repeatedly now, as you sit on the couch and I think it is funny how I am ignoring you

6:04 PM  
Blogger Randy Diddel said...

You wacky kids! Ah to be young again. In my day, if you needed energy you just stuck your finger in the light socket! None of this mamby pamby new aged touchy feely crap.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home