Friday, October 06, 2006

Staying Open Minded

Still, I won't dismiss the challenges to my negative perception of religious belief so quickly. Like nearly all claims, I will continue to entertain their possible existence and remain open to reasonable argument for as long as evidence or a reasonable argument can be produced. Its an approach that I like to think of as the pennacle-or the basic point of-free will and free speech. Its the antithesis of complete conviction. Some call it being open-minded. There is always a chance I could be wrong, I gladly admit. Uncertainty is a virtue. Its lies at the core of humility, peace, and understanding.

So, I can imagine a believer responding to previous posts, "Isn't this very limiting? Will you not entertain the discussion, the idea, of life after death and a god? Does not philosophy, which you seem so passionate about, deal specifically with ideas that are above the material-that are extra-real, even minutia? And though you may claim that philosophy is a great hobby that rarely informs your daily actions, don't you hold onto the hope that it will transform your life...and hasn't it already...?"

More on that later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home