Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A Duty To Truth

Do we have a duty to expose lies and uphold the truth?

It depends upon what values we care about and how we rank them. Does truth trump personal happiness or the happiness of others? Does it take precedence over respect? Is truth more important than acting on impulse or instinct? Does truth make a person's list of values at all? It might not.

Who has the right to decide for other people what is more important than something else? What I value is irrelevant to a superstitious nation who spends its time and resources on religious ceremony because it values the spiritual experience. The fact that I get upset when I think about how truth is ignored or neglected by countless people does not give me the right to impose my values on those people. Compulsion should not follow from simple frustration or disgust.

Of course, I don't believe the answer is as obvious as this. Its easy to say we don't have a right to impose our values or way of thinking on others. Speaking of "rights", I believe we all have the right to act in accordance with our values. If I value truth more than spiritual experience, I am free to search it out and share it with others. I am even free to argue passionately in truth's defense and promotion, just as believers are free to attempt to convince me that I am mistaken in my thinking and values.

So we have two answers to the question "Do we have a duty to expose lies and uphold truth?". One perspective provides the answer "No. To do so infringes upon the right of others to live their lives according to their own values and not your own." Another answers, "Yes, if truth ranks highly on your list of values, you are free to work to discover it and attempt to change the minds of others."

But there's still more to consider. Personally, I do not think truth trumps happiness. If I thought that believing a myth would grant me absolute serenity and joy, I'd opt to do so, truth be damned. I'm not just saying this. I have considered the possibility that being an atheist can be a less happy existence than being a believer, but I don't know that for sure. Currently I think its more likely that contentment and joy are better obtained by possessing as clear a picture of reality and ourselves as possible, allowing for acceptance and the mastering of the art of living.

Duty and purpose are things we create for ourselves. If some institution or tradition claims we have a specific duty or purpose; they are, in a sense, being tyrannical. So no, no one has a "duty" to do anything they don't want to do. I've created a mission for myself, based on the belief that a myth-free existence is critical for freedom and happiness, to combat misperceptions, delusions, propaganda, as well as any other barrier to clear thinking. I have little doubt that "missionaries" will upset or offend, but these are minor annoyances for the real zealot.

(have a mentioned that I hate writing conclusions)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Big writing style difference. I comprehend your writing, but I'm not sure everybody would. But then i try to write as plainly, and I've had people tell me that they just don't get what I'm talking about. So what ya gonna do?! Ever do LSD? You maybe should. You need something to challenge your so-called facts. :) (if you die it's not my fault)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

All of our facts are constantly being challenged. Its difficult holding onto any position at all when there's so much contradiction and incentive to give into intellectual fuzziness and mediocracy. At any rate, you and I both are second-class citizens when it comes to facts. I suppose scientists could complain about any utterance made by the common, non-fact seeking, impression and opinion-spouting person. When it comes to style, I admit I might sometimes be dyslexic when it comes to making my points, but by and large, I've always thought my writing was clear and simple to a fault; like, where is the content, facts, examples, etc?

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home